Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Indian Lingo

Wow, where to begin? It's been awhile since I've last written and so much has happened. From going to the hospital because of food contamination to visiting my friend Dharmishta's house and village to learning how to roll a round chipatti at my co-worker's Shilpa's house, I've done so much and had a lot to think about. So much so, that I couldn't bring myself to finalize any thoughts and document them in the blog.

One thing I can note is a couple of phrases that Indians use in English that I find very interesting.
1. Expire- no, when they talk about expiration they aren't talking about cheese or other food products, they are talking about people. For instance, "dada has been expired for seven years now." When I heard that, I was definitely taken aback.
2. The "S" Word- used by small children and adults alike, the "s" word is used very casually in conversation. Because I consider it profanity, I'm always surprised when the five year old next to me says it while we are playing a board game. They use it like I would use "shucks, darn, rats, or shoot".
3. Britishers- when refering to the people that occupied and ruled their land, they call them Britishers, not the British, as I know them to be. Very interesting.

Ok, this is just the beginning of the list. More will come in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment