Monday, June 21, 2010

First day!

Wow. I have just finished cleaning all the files on my computer! It was a gigantic task- because it is three years of my disorganization needing undoing. Luckily, I was able to do it today, because Sunday is a holiday in India, and I had very little other obligations.

Now, back to the fact that I am living in India! So today I was pretty much left alone to manage- I did not have anyone holding my hand throughout my day. I am living on the top floor of a family’s home and currently sharing the room with Dharmistah. We are getting along very well, and she has invited me to go to her home with her after her exams and meet her family. Unfortunately, I don’t know if I will be able to take off work, and I am sad she will not be my roommate all summer. As for where she lives, I could not tell you because it is very hard for me to understand people saying Hindi words because they say it so fast for my ear. Other observations that I have had is that when wearing my gold costume jewelry today, I felt very self-conscious because I realized that most likely their jewelry is real gold from special gifts. The fact that I am wearing large jewelry would appear that I would have lots of money to afford so much gold- obviously I know I got this cheap a** s*** at Claire’s but I need to be careful because I don’t want to give off a pretentious message. Another interesting thing about living here is something that I would never imagine myself doing in my wildest dreams- and that is that throwing out your trash simply means that literarily, you throw your trash out your window. Trash is everywhere in these urban settings, and in my mind it is unfortunate that they do not do something more organized with their disposal for both aesthetic as well as sanitation reasons. Since I have toured the Rumpke dump, I find it interesting that we complained that it was in our “back yard” when referencing the dump being within miles away. That definition has completely new meaning here because your trash really is in your back yard, as well s on your doorstep, on your way to work, in your meeting spaces- everywhere! The issues with dumping is very much more visible here, but it is interesting to note that Rumpke still has environmental issues, and just because it is more hidden does not make it better. I find India’s authenticity refreshing.

On another note, drinking water has become a minor issue. I am not sure whether or not the water that I am drinking out of bottles is in fact bottle water, or tap water bottled. In terms of recycling, it is great that Indians reuse things- something Americans have failed to learn- but in terms of my health, which is vital for the success of this trip is that I need water that my body is used to. Unfortunately that separated me from native Indians- creates a slight barrier, and makes for me to seem rude when I have to turn it down. I have explained to Dharma, and will to the family when the time is right. Hopefully that should clear up any miscommunications.

Another thing is that I am constantly served more food than I can eat. Since I am trying to cut back this summer, it is even more difficult because it probably seems confusing when I say I love India food, yet I do not finish half of what I am given. Regardless, I am enjoying the food very much and the spiciness has not been a problem. I hope to learn how to make some foods. When I went downstairs to get water, I saw my host mother and Monika making chapatti and it smelled like spicy pancakes. Reminded me of home- but not really the spicy part. My mom hates spice.
For most of the day I have been in my light, pale pink room that has textured water stained walls, lizard guests, open windows with horizontal bars and balcony with ornate design handrail. The ceiling fan sounds like there is constant rain on a tin roof, but there has not been any rain so far in my stay. While I have not left the house today, I feel it is nice because my room opens up nicely to the out of doors.

I was invited downstairs two times throughout the day to meet my host family. There is a grandmother and two children, two spouses, and two grandchildren living here. They are the Thavrani surname. Later in the day another son, his wife and two grandchildren along with a great niece and great uncle came by. They all live in Dahod in other homes. Everyone sits around and talks and enjoys their day off. It is very lovely to see such a close, friendly and welcoming family who is so proud of each other. Only the grandson who is probably 24 and studying medicine in University speaks variable English. They all learn English in school and do their studies in it, but they are not as strong conversationally. Plus my accent throws them off a little bit since I am not from the UK. Some funny things that occurred during the time I spent with them was that I was not from Germany. For some reason that is where they were told I was from. Next, was that they couldn’t believe I was 20. Everyone thought I was thirty or something. We laughed that Indians look young for their age too. Another coincidence is that Monika and I have the same birthday and she is 18. We are practicing English conversation for her and Gujarati for me. Dharmistah is also helping me. Tomorrow at 8pm I will meet with Dumah Thavrani to teach her English and practice conversation. Indians have a very strong ethic to learn and value education. Most Indians that I am meeting have advanced degrees such as masters, and likely more.

I am very excited to start work tomorrow, and I know it will bring many challenges. Things like using the bathroom in a crouched position, showering with a bucket, chucking my trash out the window, and eating with my hands have been a difficult to adapt to, and not knowing what is going on in conversations in Hindi or English, but as I know this is about unlearning old habits, and learning a new way of life. It is the ultimate test of survival. I can do it. Also, I am looking forward to emailing my family and friends tomorrow and will be very disappointed if I do not get the chance to do that. It is difficult not having any way to contact them over the past two days. Even though we are not together physically, I am reliant on technology to connect me to them. After all, my roommate is always texting or calling her friends that are far away. It would be a lot less painful if I was able to do that, but I know that this is not about having a pain free experience. In a sick way, that is what I am after, so I can grow the most.

-Your CV,
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. i refuse to accept that you are having trouble adapting to eating with your hands. and i love your blog. thanks for posting so much already!

    ReplyDelete