Thursday, June 17, 2010

Peace out Amurica!


The sun is quickly disappearing into the horizon here in Toronto. The sky has been the most notable aspects of the start of my journey- it has foreshadowed what is to come, as well as made me realize the sweetness of what I am leaving behind. The sky, which is usually something we view as having limitations, will be my constant in my trip- if you think about it, the sky is always the same no matter where you are in the world. The sky today also provided me with the most beautiful view of my hometown, Evanston, Illinois, that I have ever seen. When I was up in the little plane on the way to Toronto from O'hare, I could see the Chicago land area with the utmost clarity. It was like I had a complete understanding of my hometown- literally from all angles, that I am inspired to seek out a new land, a new people, and a new way of life.

With this gun-ho attitude I am currently in route to my three month co-op (aka internship for school credit) in Dahod, India. I am working for the NGO Sahaj, whose vision is "To empower tribal women through art and craft based activities, providing them opportunities and wider choices in life towards an equitable society." It will surely be a great learning experience. I am not totally sure of what I am doing, but I am excited by the opportunity to try something new. Hopefully, there will be a mutual exchange where I can help Sahaj, and Sahaj can help me.

I have completed my first leg of my journey with my arrival in Toronto, and will soon be boarding to go to Istanbul. After that is Mumbai, then Ahmadabad, and lastly Dahod. The solitude of the travels thus far have been nice, but I am interested to see how long I can be my own best friend. I'll be sure to keep you updated. Stay tuned.

-Your CV,
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. I'm so envious of your amazing experience! I hope to read more and I hope that you enjoy every moment. It's an experience of a lifetime! For me, it is so neat to see my "kids" grow up and conquer the world! Love it!

    -Pam ("Miss Weisberg")

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah Lauren!! I forgot how wonderful of a writer you were....I like this. I will follow you. Miss you!

    ReplyDelete