Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Upwards and Onwards!

It’s 8:43 Thursday morning, and I did not think I would have time to write today. I was given many assignments yesterday, and I had to take them home to finish. I have since finished them, and am now dressed and ready to go for the day. Every assignment takes a lot longer than it would if I was in the U.S. because I have to double, triple, sometimes quadruple check things to make sure we understand each other. Communication issues abound, but the way I see it is if I can learn to communicate well with people from a different language, then I can communicate with anybody. Communication is key, and I really want to work on that skill.

Yesterday was a great day for health. I had no problems, and felt well throughout the day. I had a great breakfast of two bananas and two apples, and corn chapatti for lunch. It was also a great social day as well. At lunch I finally engaged in conversation with my co-workers and we had a great time. Most know English because that is what they study in, but they are not confident to speak aloud and hold conversation. I just have to show that I am approachable, interested to learn about them, and not judgmental of their mistakes. It also helps that another visiting student, who is in a program much like co-op, translates anything if need be. It is a very young office, and I hope to make friends. At this point I do not go anywhere besides the office and home because I do not have anyone to take me out. I feel that will change with a matter of time, and because I am so tired after work, I just go back and sleep anyway. Yesterday I was practically falling asleep on the back of the motorcycle. You wouldn’t think that was possible with the wind hitting your face and all the commotion of the town, but that is how tired I was!

In terms of social activities of things to do in Dahod, my friends from bigger cities say there is not much. Dahod is a town of 100,000 people, but depending on whom you talk to that is either perceived as very big or very small. For the people in villages, town is a big deal. For people from cities like Vadodara and Ahmadabad, it is a little, old-fashioned, not particularly hygienic place. Either way, Dahod is a great place to experience India, and I am excited to call it home for the next 10+ weeks.

Till next time my friends!

-Your CV
Lauren

1 comment:

  1. Tell Grace to get her Dad next time. Just sent you an email. Love you.
    Dad.

    ReplyDelete