Sunday, June 27, 2010

Holiday!

So yesterday was holiday, or the day off from work. (They only get Sundays off, so its the equivalent to our weekend). It was fabulous to relax and I got so much work done on my Interdisciplinary Studies curriculum- the degree I am writing for myself in Design Strategy. It is funny because I spent three months working very hard on it back in Cincinnati and in the course of one day here in India I get it done! I feel so productive. It is because I have little social obligations and I am not really supposed to go out without someone, and since everyone visits with their families on Sunday there is no going out. In comparison to my friends who do study abroad where they meet a lot of friends who are their peers and go and do social things all the time, this is a very different experience. I am living the life of an Indian- where you have strong family bonds, you go to work all day and you come home to your family. That is the way of life here in Dahod and you don't see parents toting around to their kids soccer practice or taking them to the movies; people hang around the home and entertain each other with conversation. It is expected that you do well in school and get a good job. It is a very nice feeling, and I am glad to experience it.

On a funny note, I opened up to my roommate that I did not know exactly what was going on in the bathroom...meaning, I was confused how to use the toilet. I knew coming to India that you eat with your right hand because you....with your left, but I was hesitant to actually use it. This past week I've been coming up with many creative solutions so I wouldn't have to do the dreaded hand wipe, but after talking to Dharmishtah in a conversation filled with giggles and blushing, I feel confident to give it a try. To some of you this will be a definite t.m.i. moment, but using the rest room is a very basic part of everyday life, and often we take toilet paper for granted. Wish me luck.

Till next time!

-Your CV
Lauren

1 comment: