Thursday, June 24, 2010

It's a Small World Afterall!

So I have finally had an experience where India felt like my home, where there was no such thing as cultural differences, and where I was having a conversation with friends that I'd known forever. This is the power of humanity.

After work yesterday, I got back to my room and my roommate Darmishtah invited me to dinner with her boyfriend. They have a very interesting story because they are from different religions and plan to go to London to get their MBA, but what they really want to do is get married. They come to Dahod to go to an Engineering college, but they take classes in their home towns and come to Dahod only for exams. They were friends for five years and then realized they were soul mates and meant to be life partners. I eat this kind of stuff right up! They are extremly kind, and they make me realize I take for granted that I can pretty much date anyone I want, and more specifically, that I get to choose how I show affection.

For all the people that I went to India with in December, you will freak out. Guess what resteraunt we went to? "Feel Good"! The best one in Dahod, and the one with Chinese food and ice cream shakes! I got veg fried rice. Soooo good! It was really great because me and Darmishtah took a rikshaw there and it was so great to go out of my room and experience the town as someone who lives there and not a visitor. I don't know what I am going to do without her when she leaves next week, but hopefully I will begin hanging out with my co-workers outside of the office.

This morning we had my first formal introduction to the entire staff, and half of them raised their hands to invite me over to their home. I hope I have enough time to meet them all!

On a closing and funny note, I saw another white person! After a second glance however, I realized it was an albino Indian. My boss tells me my features look very Indian, so maybe when I don't wear jeans people will think that about me too??? Just a thought.

Oh, and in terms of my health, its been great! Plenty of safe water (over 3 liters a day) and good food. I am very relieved that stint is over.

-Your CV
Lauren

3 comments:

  1. The people at Apna Indian Buffet thought you looked like their cousin...of course you look Indian!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved your Vlog. You look sooooo beautiful and healthy Lauren. Dahod looks bigger than I thought it would from your balcony. I love the sounds of the city coming through the video.
    Love, Aunt Francine

    ReplyDelete